Why am I getting headache, smell and taste urine?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I can smell urine in my nose and taste it in my mouth. When I can smell and taste it in my mouth most of the time I get a headache and also sick to my stomach. I have drank alot of water and urinated frequently and that still did not help. I had a Dr do the XXXXXXX test and she found no blockages. What is the cause of this?
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
You are most probably suffering from migraine with an XXXXXXX which can cause such unpleasant smell and taste ( urine in your case). These are called olfactory and gustatory sensations and commonly seen in migraine headaches and rarely seen in epilepsy ( seizure disorders ).
An XXXXXXX of migraine is a single symptom or set of symptoms the patient sometimes experiences immediately before the onset of a headache. It can serve as a warning that a headache will follow. It may consist of visual symptoms, hearing, smells or unusual odors. This is a brain dysfunction that can result in strange sensations all over the body.
Kindly consult a neurologist who can confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate treatment .
Please do not worry as it can be treated with oral medicines but before starting treatment the exact cause and the triggers need to be confirmed by the doctor by thorough evaluation.
So do get yourself evaluated by a neurologist .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Why am I getting headache, smell and taste urine? 4 hours later
I do not believe that is what I have. When I urinate the the smell and taste will go away slowly and so will the headache. Also when I drink alcohol it goes away as well. I don't always have a headache when I have the smell and taste.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
In that case you are right , it need not definitely be a migraine XXXXXXX if it's not accompanied by headache or abdominal symptoms .
However please note that these are olfactory and gustatory sensory disturbances ( phantomosmia ) which might not be related to urinary tract disorders . Rarely kidney failure patients might experience such thing but before that there are many other apparent symptoms which are not missed.
Also alcohol depresses the nervous system and the fact that it decreases your symptom again indicates that it's origin is more likely neurological.
I understand your concern and appreciate your efforts as a health conscious individual and would recommend you not to neglect such a symptom and do get yourself reevaluated by a neurophysician . The doctor might carry out tests like renal function tests too ( not the XXXXXXX test but blood renal profile)which can clear your doubts regarding the urinary function.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any further queries.