Why am I getting headache and pressure in front of head?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have had a pressure feeling in the front of my head all day today. I have had a little bit of a headache, but not that much. the pressure moves from left to center to right. Please let me know what you think this could be?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms, the following likely causes have to be considered:

- Tension headache: this can often present with a dull pressure or ache in the front of the head
- High blood pressure
- Low blood sugar levels - Hypoglycemia
- Sinusitis
- Prodrome of a viral fever
- Stress / anxiety

There are several other possibilities, but considering the short duration of your symptoms and the absence of any other complications, it is unlikely to be anything serious.

I would suggest that you take a mild analgesic medication, drink plenty of fluids and take adequate rest. It will mostly subside on its own gradually. However, if it persists for more than 3 days or you develop any other complications like vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision, high fever, etc. then you should see a doctor for a proper evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist