Why am I getting cold and cough in the morning and starts sneezing?

Pulmonologist
Question
I seem to be getting cold every morning. I wake up every morning with a little cough and it gets better as the morning progresses. But on somedays, it prevails for the full day and feels very irritating. This has been happening for almost a year and a half now. Sometimes, when i drive a bike the cold comes from nowhere and i start sneezing like anything.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from early morning cold and cough since one year.
2. You need to answer a few question so that I may advice accordingly:
were you alright 1 year back? are your symptoms exacerbated in winter? Do you have associated breathlessness or fever? are you allergic to dust? do you hear whistling sounds during attacks of breathlessness? Does any one in your family have history of asthma? Do you smoke? What is your occupation? Is there any occupational dust exposure? Have you been investigated or clinically examined for the same? Are you currently on any medication or have taken any medications in the past?Do you have problem of acidity/ burning pain in abdomen? Any other symptoms?

Please do let me know the details,
Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Why am I getting cold and cough in the morning and starts sneezing? 31 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Please find below more details.

- It has been for a little longer than a year and a half since i have this problem.
- I was completely alright before this.
- I think it is relatively more in winters.
- I am allergic to dust. Again, this was not the case earlier, i have started feeling allergic to dust only since early 2011.
- No associated breathlessness or fever.
- No one in my family has any history of asthma
- No i don't smoke.
- I work in the IT industry as a software consultant so no question of exposure to dust at my work place.
- My eyes also itch a lot when i am feeling cold.
- Haven't tried any medication yet.
- On a different note, i think i feel better on days when i do some exercise in the morning.
- And sometimes, i do feel acidity. Not sure if that's related

Thanks for the follow up info.
After going through the info provided, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from early morning cold and cough since one and a half year.

2. The symptoms are suggestive of obstructive air way disease probably asthma.

3. You need to get a detailed clinical evaluation and investigation done.

4. Clinical evaluation from a Pulmonologist is preferable and investigations required are chest xray pa view, peripheral smear , serum IgE levels and pulmonary function tests.

5. Based on the evaluation results you will most probably require oral and inhaled medications for control of your symptoms.

6. Also yearly flu vaccination and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccination are recommended for prevention of recurrent infections.

7. You need to avoid triggers / exacerbating factors like cold air, pollens, etc. for complete symptomatic relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB