Why am I getting back pain while lying down?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
When I lie down on the bench in a gym for doing a bench press, I sometimes get a pain in my upper back on my left side, approximately level with where my upper abdomen would be. I can generally take care of it by lifting my feat from the ground and resting them on the bench itself. However, in the last few days there is pain in that same place persistently all the time, despite the fact that I have not been to the gym in almost a month. I have to keep shifting positions to minimise the pain, as certain posture / positions only aggravates the pain. Please advise.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later

Your complaints are suggestive of severe spasm of scapular stabilizers.
BENCH PRESS is a action of Serratus Anterior muscle and this muscle is more prone to get injured in you.

If you have pain and tenderness now then you have to go for cryo pack with vapo coolent spray and rest. Taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are suggested as well.

Placing a small pillow or rolled towel behind the neck may relieve pain while sleeping.

As in your case it is 1 month old and pain does not subside with rest I advice you to
consult your orthopaedic surgeon and get it evaluated clinically. You may need a MRI done to see the grade of tear and treatment plan according to that.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

wish you get back to your active exercises soon....

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.