Why am I getting back pain, headache and tiredness even after proper sleep?

Nov 2013

I am a 58 yr old women. Generally healthy, active eating a good diet. Why do I wake up after a long nights sleep with back ache, tired and a headache?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The main complaints you have mentioned are back acke, headache and tiredness, especially after long nights sleep.
The commonest reason for this could be mechanical back pain and muscle tension headache. In this situation, the pain subsides after 15-30 minutes of waking up and moving around a bit.
Other possibility could be unrefreshed sleep at night due to snoring, which can lead to sbstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
If these symptoms persist for some time, you may need an evaluation by a doctor. A CT scan of the brain may be required to exclude any other causes (as occasionally, increased intra-cranial pressure may cause early morning headaches).
In summary, as of now, it seems to be minor. You could take analgesics such as diclofenac to relieve the pain.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Why am I getting back pain, headache and tiredness even after proper sleep? 5 minutes later
Thanks for your answer.
I forgot to say the I get medication - in the last 6 months - for hypothyroid (75 mg a day) - could it be related to that? Could it be related to stress at work?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
Hypothyroidism, if treated well, as seems to be in your case, would not lead to those problems. Please make sure your TSH level is less than 5.
Stress at work could lead to the problems you have described. So, it would be helpful to minimise the stress.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)