Ask a Urologist   »  

Why am I getting abdominal pain after urination?

General Surgeon
Hi there,

I'm a 29 year old male, 6'2, 180lbs. I'm in good physical shape, no known health conditions, stay active, eat well etc.
In the last few hours I've been having some pain in my lower abdomen which gets much worse immediately after finishing urinating. It gets much worse also, if I lean backwards. A few minutes ago I went to urinate. Before I started urinating I tried leaning backwards, no pain. After urination the pain kicked in and if I even stretched back a little bit, the pain is too much and I can barely lean back at all without this intense pain. The pain is located a little down and to the right from my belly button. The pain fades away after a little while and while the pain has faded I can palpate the area without pain. But pain occurs sharply again the next time I urinate. (There is no pain directly in my penis, the pain is in the abdomen).

When I'm just sitting down normally (like right now) and about 10 mins after urination, there is a slight feeling of discomfort in the same place but nowhere near as bad as immediately after urination.

I'm quite scared and worried about having appendicitis. I really don't understand why it feels so bad after urination though. One point which may or may not be related. About a day and a half ago I suffered from 2 heavy bouts of vomiting due to what seems to be food poisoning. Me and two friends were all very sick after eating the same dish at a restaurant. However, since the two bouts of vomiting I've felt fine and totally recovered.

Hope you can shed some light on this...

Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms usually indicate urinary tract stones. The pain is mostly localized in the lower abdomen, sometimes radiates to the one side back or groin (more often it radiates with stones). Burning when urinating and frequent urinating also appears.
Your urinary tract infection can be associated with food poisoning. Usually the infection appears when an amount of produced urine drops (urine is some kind of antibacterial agent). And as you have been vomiting, you lost some fluids and probably did not drink enough.
Appendicitis usually starts with upper or middle abdominal pain and in a few hours the pain migrates to the right lower abdomen. The body temperature is slightly elevated. Nausea usually appears as well.
So if you find your symptoms similar to appendicitis, you should go to ER for some diagnostics.
If your symptoms are more like urinary tract infection, you can try some things first and if no relief during the day, you should also visit your doctor for urine analysis and antibiotic prescription.
First of all you should increase amount of fluid intake. Try to drink about 2 liters of mineral water. Hot bath should give you some relief as well. Blueberry supplements are also very good for utis. Try to not keep your urine, and urinate as often as possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.