Why am I getting abdominal discomfort and feeling of lump in stomach?

General Surgeon
I have strange abdominal discomfort almost like the feeling of a lump in my stomach. I feel more while walking
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such strange abdominal discomfort can be a symptom of acid reflux disease, peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation due to Helicobacter Pylori infection. Sometimes gallstones can give such discomfort in this area however more characteristic is pain in the left upper abdomen radiating to the back.
Stress or bad diet can also cause symptoms like yours.
Most of this conditions are mild and not life threatening. However, as very same symptoms can appear due to stomach cancer, this condition should be ruled out at first.

That is why I suggest you to have some tests performed. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work and gastroscopy should be performed at first. This will also rule out stomach and gallbladder issues. Also Helicobacter Pylori infection can be tested during this tests.

In a meanwhile, you should avoid coffee, alcohol, fatty foods, spicy foods, chocolate. If you feel that it can be stress related, try Magnesium 400 mg a day supplementation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Why am I getting abdominal discomfort and feeling of lump in stomach? 21 minutes later
Yes I am very stressed since my parents are recently living with me..I am overweight as well.
The discomfort is more towards the right upper area and can cause bloating and the need to pass gas, which I used to think it felt like gas that could not come out.
Sorry to be so graphic...Can gall stones cause this too?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later

Bloating can be caused by gallstones as well. However such symptom can also appear due to stress, chronic bacterial infection or large intestine polyp for example. Bad diet can also give bloating. So many reasons as this is very nonspecific symptom.
I suggest you to have mentioned before tests. Try to increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. FOBT (fecal occult blood test) would be also a god idea to rule out any large intestine pathologies. Stool culture test can diagnose bacterial infection and if present Rifaximine treatment might be helpful.

Hope this will help.