Why am I feeling tightness in hamstrings on increasing the mileage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Siegel, I am a distance runner, 47 years old and have completed around 90 marathons. In XXXXXXX while running a marathon in Kenya, I had two tendons on my right sitbone to rip 2 cm from bone, Ischial tuberostiy. Dr. Guerra here in XXXXXXX FL performed surgery on me August 10th. I have made it through all my physical therapy treatments and now do them myself. I have also started back running. I have worked up to 10 miles, but it is slow.
I do not have any pain at all during my runs. I do notice as I get up to higher mileage my hamstring feel very tight. Will the tightness go away and will my speed come back? I do not do any sprinting yet for fear of damaging something, but I feel okay and want to start doing more aggressive workouts like we do in boot camp...burpees, jump squats etc... when can I tackle this training????

Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
The tightness feeling in your hamstrings on increasing the mileage is likely to be due to the lack of rigorous training for some time. It will take some time for the muscles to regain their full stamina and mass. You can take a high protein diet and have electrolyte XXXXXXX sports drinks during the training more frequently for a relief.
As soon as you start feeling absolutely normal on increasing the mileage, you can gradually start with a more intensive regimen. It has been almost six months since you had the surgery.
There should not be any problem in resuming your routine gradually. Do not forget to get yourself physically examined from your orthopedician to confirm this.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.