Why am I feeling something moving up and down in throat?

ENT Specialist
i have been having a feeling of something moving up and down in my throat for about a year now,sometime is there and other times i dont feel it all,i have been to my doctor where i was sent in for barium test, but was found not to be acid problem.but i am worry because the sensation is uncomfortable but not painful,sometime i get really dried there as well
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 55 minutes later

Thanks for considering H.C.M. regarding your medical query.

I have gone through your clinical history, as you said that you feel some times as there is some thing which is moving up and down in your throat and some times throat appears to be clear.This indicates that possibility of neoplastic lesion is unlikely, because in neoplastic lesions obstruction is felt round the clock, secondarily your barium test has also not shown any filling defect.Therefore the possibility in your case is of GERD (gastro esophageal reflex disorder).

This problem is basically associated with hyper acidity. Though you have been investigated by barium meal test, this test tells about any filling defect as seen in neoplasm or strictures or there may be irregularity of gastric lining as found in gastric ulcers but this is not very informative for cases of hyper acidity and minor gastric ulcers. My opinion is that you should go for Upper GI endoscopy which will be more reliable test to rule out your all suspicions and will help in making correct diagnosis.

I hope in this way you will be clear about your query.

With Regards.