Why am I feeling sinus discomfort while going to air conditioner room?

ENT Specialist
Hello. I was interested in knowing why I feel sinus discomfort lately when I turn on the room air conditioner. I never noticed before, although this summer we have been having a warmer than usual summer and have been running the air conditioner much longer than usual. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Why am I feeling sinus discomfort while going to air conditioner room? 2 minutes later
I forgot another question. I have a longer than usual epiglottis and snore sometimes. But in general I wanted to know whether larger/thicker than normal epiglottis should be reduced surgically even if there are no other symptoms. I usually feel it when I raise my voice. By contrast my wife has a small thin epiglottis. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Air conditioning affects the temperature and humidity of the air. Breathing cold air dries up the nasal and sinus mucosa (lining) leading to the sinus discomfort that you are experiencing. Try saline nasal drops to ease the discomfort.

2. Another issue is fungal growth in the air conditioner. Get the air conditioners serviced and the filters cleaned regularly.

3. A large epiglottis does not require treatment if there are no symptoms.

4. Occasional snoring, especially when exhausted, is normal.

5. The female larynx and epiglottis is smaller than in a male. If there are other structures in your larynx, throat, tongue which are disproportionate, then a videolaryngoscopy and a cine- MRI may be done to demonstrate this for further evaluation and treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.