Why am I feeling scared to do anything on my own?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am too scared to do anything on my own and it's getting worse; what's wrong with me? I feel like such a baby and I'm 36 years old! My kids are more braver than me in society!
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. You are suffering and same time seeking help self on online forum. You probably suffering from some anxiety or phobia. Please mention duration of suffering and description of your routine in brief. Before I can answer your questions I would like you to answer a small questionaire for me and provide a Score to each of the question - mentioned below:- Method of Scoring :- Assign a value of 0 to 4 to each question. SYMPTOM DETECTED :- Not At All ........... 0 A Little .............. 1 Moderately ......... 2 Quite a Bit .......... 3 Extremely ........... 4 Please Score the questions below - as mentioned above:- 1. Difficulty in getting your breath, smothering, or over breathing. 2. Choking sensation or a lump in the throat 3. Skipping, racing, or pounding of your heart 4. Chest Pain, pressure, or discomfort 5. Bouts of excessive sweating 6. Faintness, light-headedness, or dizzy spells 7. Sensation of rubbery or "jelly" legs 8. Feeling off balance or unsteady like you might fall 9. Nausea or stomach problems 10. Feeling that things around you are strange, unreal, foggy, or detached from you 11. Feeling outside or detached from part or all of your body, or a floating freely 12. Tingling or numbness in parts of your body 13. Hot flashes or cold chills 14. Shaking or trembling 15. Having a fear that you are dying or that something terrible is about to happen 16. Feeling you are loosing control or going insane 17. Sudden anxiety attacks with three or more of the symptoms listed above that occur when you are in or are about to go into a situation that is likely, from your experience, to bring on an attack 18. Sudden unexpected anxiety attacks with three or more symptoms listed above that occur with little or no provocation (i.e. when you are NOT in a situation that is likely, from your experience to bring on an attack) 19. Sudden unexpected spells with only one or two symptoms (listed above) that occur with little or no provocation (i.e. when you are NOT in a situation that is likely , from your experience, to bring on an attack) 20. Anxiety episodes that build up as you anticipate doing something that is likely, from your experience, to bring on anxiety that is more intense than most people experience in such situations 21. Avoiding situations because they frighten you 22. Being dependent on others 23. Tension and inability to relax 24. Anxiety, nervousness, restlessness 25. Spells of increased sensitivity to sound, light, or touch 26. Attacks of diarrhea 27. Worrying about your health too much 28. Feeling tired, weak, and exhausted easily 29. Headaches or pains in the neck or head 30. Difficulty in falling asleep 31. Waking in the middle of the night, or restless sleep 32. Unexpected waves of depression occurring with little or no provocation 33. Emotions and moods going up and down a lot in response to changes around you. 34. Recurrent and persistent ideas, thoughts, impulses, or images that are intrusive, unwanted, senseless, or repugnant 35. Having to repeat the same action in a ritual, e.g., checking, washing, counting repeatedly, when it's not really necessary Once I recieve your answers, I shall provide a proper answer for your questions. Wish you good health. Regards, http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal

Follow-up: Why am I feeling scared to do anything on my own? 46 minutes later
SYMPTOM DETECTED :- Not At All ........... 0 A Little .............. 1 Moderately ......... 2 Quite a Bit .......... 3 Extremely ...........4 1. Difficulty in getting your breath, smothering, or over breathing. 1 2. Choking sensation or a lump in the throat 2 3. Skipping, racing, or pounding of your heart 2 4. Chest Pain, pressure, or discomfort 2 5. Bouts of excessive sweating 1 6. Faintness, light-headedness, or dizzy spells 3 7. Sensation of rubbery or "jelly" legs 1 8. Feeling off balance or unsteady like you might fall 3 9. Nausea or stomach problems 2 10. Feeling that things around you are strange, unreal, foggy, or detached from you 3 11. Feeling outside or detached from part or all of your body, or a floating freely 3 12. Tingling or numbness in parts of your body 0 13. Hot flashes or cold chills 0 14. Shaking or trembling 3 15. Having a fear that you are dying or that something terrible is about to happen 3 16. Feeling you are loosing control or going insane 3 17. Sudden anxiety attacks with three or more of the symptoms listed above that occur when you are in or are about to go into a situation that is likely, from your experience, to bring on an attack 4 18. Sudden unexpected anxiety attacks with three or more symptoms listed above that occur with little or no provocation (i.e. when you are NOT in a situation that is likely, from your experience to bring on an attack) 1 19. Sudden unexpected spells with only one or two symptoms (listed above) that occur with little or no provocation (i.e. when you are NOT in a situation that is likely , from your experience, to bring on an attack) 0 20. Anxiety episodes that build up as you anticipate doing something that is likely, from your experience, to bring on anxiety that is more intense than most people experience in such situations 4 21. Avoiding situations because they frighten you 4 22. Being dependent on others 4 23. Tension and inability to relax 4 24. Anxiety, nervousness, restlessness 4 25. Spells of increased sensitivity to sound, light, or touch 0 26. Attacks of diarrhea 0 27. Worrying about your health too much 1 28. Feeling tired, weak, and exhausted easily 4 29. Headaches or pains in the neck or head 3 30. Difficulty in falling asleep 4 31. Waking in the middle of the night, or restless sleep 4 32. Unexpected waves of depression occurring with little or no provocation 2 33. Emotions and moods going up and down a lot in response to changes around you. 4 34. Recurrent and persistent ideas, thoughts, impulses, or images that are intrusive, unwanted, senseless, or repugnant 3 35. Having to repeat the same action in a ritual, e.g., checking, washing, counting repeatedly, when it's not really necessary 0

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Appear to have Anxiety disorder. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. From the further description it is clear that you are having anxiety disorder with phobic and panic symptoms as you have scored 3/4 on anxiety related symptoms. Common symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor/trembling, muscle spasm (like in neck lead to pain), heaviness in body, tiredness, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Anxiety occurs due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment. There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. In your case I would like to prefer combined treatment (drug and non drug) due severity of symptoms. In drug treatment of anxiety two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used for short duration (due to risk of dependence). For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect, till that time benzodiazepines control the anxiety symptoms. All these medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician. All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, you need to move forward further in your treatment by meeting nearby psychiatrist. Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you in minor extent: -Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0). -Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet. -Daily morning walk -Stop excessive caffeine intake (Tea/coffee/cold drink): if present -Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person) Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. Wish you good health. Regards