Why am I feeling lightheaded, tired and hearing cracking sound in ear?

ENT Specialist
I do not have ear ache but I am hearing crackling, swish noises in my head, light headedness, feeling tired and this has been going on for 1 week. the noises do not last long but are constant.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The swooshing sound that you hear in your right ear is known as tinnitus. The crackling that you are hearing may be due to ear wax which is the commonest cause of a blocked ear and Tinnitus. If the ear drum is normal, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) to check the hearing levels and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done to check middle ear pressure changes. Decreased hearing also makes one more aware of tinnitus. If you have a hearing loss, amplification may help mask the tinnitus

2. This sound will be either pulsatile (matching with arterial pulse rate) or a non pulsatile venous 'hum'. This type of tinnitus is due to turbulent blood flow.

3. Since you also have light headedness and fatigue, it may also be related to change in blood pressure and alteration of blood flow.

4. Other cause such as cervical spondylosis may be considered if there is accompanying dizziness and lightheadedness.

5. Tinnitus may also be drug induced.

6. There are many other causes which may be ruled out on further investigation such as ear examination, hearing tests, CT/ MRI scans and so on. You may discuss this with your physician.

7. Treatment will depend on whether a cause is identified or not. You can upload your test results here under the “Upload your reports” section to discuss further treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.