Why am I feeling dizzy while bending head?

ENT Specialist
Since a month, i am often getting reeling when i get up from the bed early in the morning. This starts from the early morning and lasts for about a week or 10 days.I also get dizziness when i bend my body forward or when i bend my head down.Also, when i bend my hed backward on the left side towards shoulder angle, i get dizziness. I wish to know the reason why i am getting this. My age is 70 years. kindly advise the medicine ?
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
Dizziness can be because of the diseases of the ear, brain, cervical spine and eyes. Besides this there are some general causes too like diabetes, hypothyroidism and high cholesterol.
The evaluation of vertigo primarily involves a ENT surgeon, Neurologist, Ophthalmologist, Orthopaedics surgeon and a general physician.
The description mentioned above is suggesting a ENT cause or a problem with the cervical spine. However at your age I would keep a high possibility of a neurologic cause too. I will be difficult to quote a specific disease process causing this.

I would suggest you for tests like Routine blood count, Pure tone audiometry to look for any associated hearing loss, lipid profile, caloric test to look for labyrinthine function, throid function tests, MRI of brain and cervical spine. I am sure with these test reports and your history we can reach to the cause of dizziness and start thinking of the treatment.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma