Why am I feeling cold and tired?

I keep getiing a feeling of benn very cold, it comes like a wave over my body, even when I'm indoors and dtresse warmly, shorly afterwards I feel very tired.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hi. Thank you for writing to us.

Feeling cold can be due to various reasons. Before getting in to the reasons, I would like to ask you if this is just feeling cold or do you experience chills? Do let me know.

Now let us discuss the possible causes for this feeling. They are:
-Hypothyroidism (get your thyroid profile checked)
-Low body oxygen levels (will require body oxygen testing, should be above 30 seconds)
-Raynaud's phenomenon: Doppler ultrasound or digital artery pressure testing
-Renal impairment: Check urea and electrolytes
-Anemia: Routine blood examination
-Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar)
-Other circulatory problems
-Hypothalamus problems (temperature regulating center)
-Slow absorption of food: If you experience the cold feeling after a meal, this could be a reason
-Low blood pressure

All of the above conditions require a diagnosis to be made by a doctor. I understand you are experiencing extreme discomfort, which is why I am suggesting a few remedies. Do try them:
-Prevent breathing from your mouth, and try to breathe slowly
-3-5 tablespoons of dairy cream for 3-5 days, if this helps, you can continue it
-Exercise (to increase metabolism, which produces heat, but without mouth breathing)
-Smaller but more frequent meals (5-6 per day), this increases metabolism
-Warm fluids

I hope this information helps. Please write back to me if you have any more queries. I request you to visit a doctor at the earliest, as a doctor can help you and I do not want you to experience this discomfort any longer.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Why am I feeling cold and tired? 24 hours later
It is just a very weird feeling, when it first happened I thought that it may be a fever, realising this was not the case, as it happens at anytime of day or night.
I didn't mention before, that I have had a major artery at the back of me knee replaced. by one taken from my inner thigh. Two years ago I also had a stroke, I was hospitalised for a week. all of these incidents happened when I was, living in Canada. I am very distrustful of the NHS that is why I asked for yor help. I would appreciate any more input you have for me.
Thank you
Hi. Thank you for your response.

Keeping in mind valuable information about your stroke and surgery, this could quite possibly be a circulatory problem, as mentioned in my above response. I understand it takes time to trust the NHS, but all the above mentioned conditions will need to be evaluated by a doctor.

For now, you can follow the above mentioned advise and also get a few investigations done. You could attach them to our discussion once you receive them.

They are: thyroid profile, body oxygen testing, hemoglobin, liver function test, renal function test, doppler ultrasound of the affected area, blood glucose levels. A full body scan should help in screening circulatory problems.

I hope this helps. Awaiting your response.
Best wishes.