Why am I feeling cold and lightheaded?

Suddenly got very lightheaded about 2.5hrs ago. Was fine, had eaten 1hr. Before started. Still feeling it, bit better. 1hr after started felt cold. I've eaten more since started. Checked blood sugar. 6.6 just after eating. BP is approx 104/64 but I normally have excellent to low Bo. Female 46 160 lbs, non smoker non drinker no drugs no meds.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting this query in XXXXXXX

The causes of the symptom that you have described are many. It can be due to low glucose, fluctuation in blood pressure, heart problem (abnormal heart rhythm) etc.

The possibilities in your case could be
1. Postural hypotension (BP falls while standing)
2. Heart problem as i discussed above

The medicine that you are on- moclobomide can cause low pressure and such symptoms too

Please visit a physician and check your BP in both standing and lying-down position. Get one ECG done to see any cardiac problem. You may have to discuss with your physician regarding the use of moclobomide too. You don't have to worry much. Please consult a local physician.

Hope this helps
Follow-up: Why am I feeling cold and lightheaded? 2 hours later
Thanks for the quick reply. There was a new development just after I send my question. First to address your reply: The lightheadedness was not upon standing. It was while I was sitting at my computer. I was there for about 15 mins then out of nowhere I felt very, very lightheaded...sure I was going to pass out (although vision did not blurr or get dark & didn't pass out). Sat there for a bit and it didn't improve. Felt very unsteady walking upstairs.

Blood glucose was perfect (husband's diabetic so have meter to test). Blood pressure was also fine (have pressure cuff and tested while symptoms happening) My blood pressure is excellent as is cholesterol etc, no health issues, no heart issues, all tests fine, stress test 3 months ago was excellent. ECG was done then and no issues. I've been on moclobemide for over 18 yrs., more than adjusted to it and no side affects at all.

NEW DEVELOPMENT: Feel relatively ok when sitting upright if head is held upright. Still fine if I turn my head left or right BUT... when standing OR SITTING, if I tilt my head forward to look down, tilt my head back or tilt to either side (ear to shoulder), I get VERY lightheaded. As soon as I return my head to center, I'm ok again.

Again, this just came out of nowhere while sitting at my computer...had only been there for about 15 mins so not hours sitting at the screen and lightheadedness happens while seated.

Thanks for any further guesses.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 22 minutes later
I noted the development.

Please get examined by a local doctor so that we can assess if any neurological deficits are there.

A possibility of paroxysmal vertigo is likely.

Your doctor will guide you regarding the management.

Best wishes.