Why am I feeling and hearing my heartbeat while laying down. Should I consult a doctor?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello. I am female, aged 64, in good general health. For some months I have been "feeling" my heartbeat, especially at night when I lie on my left side, Thump, thump, thump and sometimes the beat is irregular. I'm wide awake then and have to lie on my back or right side (not easy because I am recovering from a broken right ankle) to get away from hearing or feeling my heart. Is it something to worry about? I had an angiogram in November following the surgery for the broken ankle because 'irregular heart activity' was noticed during the operation. The angiogram was clear. Should I go to my GP and arrange another test or is this normal because of my age or other factors? Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 51 minutes later

I have gone through your all details with diligence. Normally anybody can feel heart beat if he/she concentrate on his/her heart beat, especially if the person is thin built person - but this is unusually felt by many people and can be normal. Rarely it may be the symptom of heart problem.

In your case as you are recovering from broken ankle and probably are mostly in bed, it is very likely that you are feeling these heart beats. Besides that, as you have already undergone Angiogram and it's clear, it is unlikely that any serious issues.

If these heart beats are troubling you, you can visit your treating doctor and get EKG - that will reassure you.

Wish you a healthy heart and speedy recovery.