Why am I experiencing shooting in heartbeats, shortness of breath and weakness?

Good Morning Doctor,
For past few days i'm expriencing sudden shooting in my heart beats, shortness of breath and weakness. This problem is either happening in the morning time or in eveing around 6. I consulted the doctors they put me on Propranolol 10 mg for three times a day, Fluxotine Hydrocholride in the mroning and Alprax .25 at night. I have done my ECG, thyroid and blodd test all are normal.
Kindly suggest the reason for this shortness of breath.
YYYY@YYYY is my mail id.

Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
What you have described is the symptoms of "shooting in heart beats" that means heart beating out of rhythm that is arrhythmia. Normally, heart beats for about 100,000 times a day (72 x 60 x 24); one percent of these beats can be normally present out of rhythm. to a sensitive and more perceptive person, these may be perceived as missed beats/rapid heart rate.
Doctors who have assessed you have examined you thoroughly and did whatever tests he felt were needed. On that basis he has prescribed you antidepressants (Fluxitene usual dose is 20 mg once or twice a day and anxiolytics alprax). If you feel better with these drugs, my suggestion is continue these. one thing you have mentioned about fatty liver. Do you take alcohol and what is your height and weight is necessary to be known before one can point towards a diagnosis.

If you are not satified then you ought to see a cardiologist or an internist who after thorough examination would advice one or two test like: Holter may be needed if your ECG suggests or Internist feel, wherein 24 recording of ECGs is done by a portable I pod like device to be analysed by a computer, In normal persons Holter has revealed that att times heart can beat faster rate it can be due to rhythm disorder which can be:
1. Proxysmal Supra Ventricular Tachycardia (PSVT), comes like a bolt from blue and after few minutes to hours stops as abruptly as it came. Manifests as Palpitation. This is not the symptom you are having.
2. Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia: Similar to above but gradual set in and set off also manifests as palpitation that is not the situation with you.
3. Irregular beats inappropriately timed ventricular or supra ventricular ectopics (Proxysmal Atrial Ectopics or PAC's) which may manifest as missed beats or at times as palpitation. If ventricular function is normal (as determined by clinical examination, echocardiography)or when there is normal ability to perform adequate exercise in form of stress test it is normal) then these ectopics are of not much significance except a little apprehension for the person who perceives them. All of us are exposed to stress, how we react to that is what counts. Once investigated and declared to have a normal heart then I assume anxiety will also be alleviated.

Personally, I feel a cardiology consult, where a cardiologist will thorougly examine you and may plan ultrasound of heart that is echocardiography which would confirm normal structure and function of heart. These are needed to find whether remotedly, you need any medication or not. There is nothing to worry, the whole thing could be normal aberration and after illness have become more perceptive.

During rapid heart rate it is not uncommon to have shortness of breath, for heart is spending less time in filling and blood is not fully drained from lungs to heart. Leading to increase in pressure in veins carrying oxygenated blood to heart from lungs. This rise in pulmonary venous pressure stimulates rapid breathing. Also, anxiety, whether it is in antiipation or as a part of disease can make the person more aware of act of beathing which is otherwise ignored. How much is contibution of each of these factors, I can not comment without actually seeing you in person.
If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
RegardsWith Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Why am I experiencing shooting in heartbeats, shortness of breath and weakness? 1 hour later
Thanks Dotor,
I have fatty liver but I never had drink alcohol in my life. Second thing even after taking this drugs I do not feel relief. Anytime in day I start feeling shortness of breath, however I'm not 100% sure at that time my heart beats were normal or not. But I had 4 - 5 episodes of palipitation. On last Thursday my heart beats were shoot up and at the same time I was feeling short of breath. My bpm was 150 the time I was admitted in hospital.

In nutshell shortness of breath is exactly related to fast heart rate I'm not 100%.
Kindly suggest whether I need to see cardiologist or pulmonologist.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
I never for a moment suggested that your beathlessness episodes are not related to faster heart beats (see my first mail) and secondly, that you may have arrhythmia which only cardiologist can evaluate. My suggestion would be you show yourself to cardiologist. In Ahmedabad, in Apollo Group of Hospitals Dr XXXXXXX Dani is in charge, those people have another set up in the city also, if I am not mistaken. Take an appointment from them. In all probability you would have one of the three diagsoses( which I labelled 1,2,3; in my first email). A specific treatment will bring you the cure. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes

Follow-up: Why am I experiencing shooting in heartbeats, shortness of breath and weakness? 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor Saab,
I have seen couple of doctors here in Pune they all had concluded pathologically things are normal with me, its happening because of stress, anxiety, exertion etc basically i'm psychologically ill.

Please suggest me good cardiologist in Pune City.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Best advice you can get from going to BJ Medical College, Department of Cardiology. It will take more time but nothing will be missed.

Next among the private is the following (please find out if this branch of XXXXXXX Hridulalya of Banglore -one of the best cardiac center in the country). Call them and and find out. XXXXXXX Rreamedy`s Private Limited , Bund Garden Road , PMC
Phone: (020) 0000
Address: 201, Nityanand Complex, 2nd Floor, Bund Garden Road, PMC- 0000, Maharashtra

Landmark: Near Konark Classic

Only cardiologists I know personally are in AFMC if you can manage to be see by them. It is your enterprice.

Good Luck.
You may close this query with comments and stars. (Unless you have another question to ask which I will be only too happy to answer, it was a pleasure interacting with you) Regards

Dr Anil Grover