Why am I experiencing severe pain while straightening my knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I'm not sure what i did to my right knee but im getting severe pain when i try to straighten it out and if i try to put pressure on it. It is swollen
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: let me know some more details. Detailed Answer: Hi, Let me know some more details so that I can help you in better ways. -Any injury to your knee. -Duration of your symptoms. -Any popping sound heard during movement of knee. -Any locking of knee. Let me know your age also. Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Why am I experiencing severe pain while straightening my knee? 7 hours later
I dont have any more details - it started hurting a couple of days ago and yesterday it was worse - severe pain on and around knee cap when i straighten it or go up stairs
Brief Answer: Slight modifications in your life style can help. Detailed Answer: Hi, You might be suffering from patellar tendinitis or chondromalacia patellae, which causes pain in your knee when you straighten your limb or try to climb the stairs. This type of knee pain related to overuse or physical activity. Slight modifications in your life style can help. - Do regular knee exercises (quadriceps and hamstrings). - Always warm up before exercising and cool down afterwards. Stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings. - Lose weight if you are overweight. Every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when you go up and down stairs. -Do hot fomentation of your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone. -Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling. -Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down. -Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day. -Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation -Take diet rich in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care