Why am I experiencing lightheadedness before a bowel movement?

for the past 2months or so i experience lightheadedness before a BM. Maybe 1 out of 10 times I'll get the urge to have one without the lightheaded feeling, but I'll be normal, suddenly get that lightheaded feeling, think I'm dehyradated or so and by the time I've had a drink of water I have the urge to go.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 31 minutes later
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic
Lightheadedness preceding a bowel movement can be because of -
1) Intense colonic contractions moving the fecal contents. These can start following an intestinal infection or because of inflammation.
2) The only pathological counterpart that I can think off is a disease called carcinoid syndrome. This is because of a harmone producing lesion and these harmones can have varied effects on the blood vessels and may produce light headedness.
I would suggest you to initially have a couple of stool routine examinations, a complete blood count, avoid having milk for couple of weeks and take some fibre supplements as well as zinc containg multivitamins. Based on the test results and effect of these interventions you may then decide on seein a gastroenterologist.