Why am I experiencing chest pain after meals?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have abused my lapband for a year, and when having a routine colonoscopy and gastronomy?? they said it was angry, inflammed and stretched. I've had the fluid of the band removed, and am watching my diet, but experiencing chest pain after I eat or drink. I've been prescribed nexium so its not acid, but it sure as hell hurts. Have I done permanent damage and what is this pain caused from?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 4 hours later
Dear Bernadette,

Understanding your query after gastroscopy (OGD), your doctor has told you that you have an inflamed stomach pouch.

To me it means you have gastritis and also whether you might be having reflux/GERD that is causing symptoms in the lower chest. Nexium should take care of the gastritis but I would suggest you to speak to your doctor if you have a reflux and need a prokinetic (that pushes food down into stomach). And also to rule out a hiatus hernia. Even after the band is removed there might be adhesions formed around the stomach which may prevent the stomach from fully expanding.

I believe once your gastritis is managed you should get relief from pain. Nice to note that your ECG is fine as well.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Why am I experiencing chest pain after meals? 15 hours later
Hi Thanks for your response. I'm taking buscupan as the Dr thinks it is just spasming (same sort of deal when I use to have gallstone attacks I guess?). My osophagus is very red, inflammed and quote" angry". Its also very stretched as it has been my 'stomach' for the past year. So Its not the stomach that they said was inflammed, it was the osophagus. They didn't get into the stomach area as they couldn't get past the band.
I still have the band in place, just empty of fluid. I just feel generally unwell and have a constant tummy ache. I'm assuming you're saying it will pass?

Will my osophagus go back to normal, or have I done permanent damage do you think? Appreciate your response. Thanking you in advance.

Yours truly,
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 16 hours later

Good to hear from you.

After going through the description provided by you, I feel it is esophagitis (inflammation of esophagus).

Now with the band emptied they should be able to get across it if OGD (endoscopy) is done.
Please ask your physician if a prokinetic will help as you probably have reflux which has led to esophagitis.

It should heal with nexium and prokinetic medications.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Dr Nitin Rao.