Why am I experiencing back pain while taking deep breath?

I was diagnosed and treated for bronchitis about 3 months ago. I only had one course of antibiotics and I still have a wet cough. Last week I was woken up with a severe pain in the left side of my back but it went away after a few hours. The other night I had a stitch like feeling in the left side of my chest but it too went away. Today I have experienced the same back pain that hurts when I breathe deeply or cough. A few times the pain shot across my back. I'm just wondering if it could be connected to the bronchitis?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, When the diagnosis of brochitis is made, the doctor prescribes antibiotic treatment depending on the severity of the disease. If your doctor prescribed only one course of antibiotics, it means that was enough to get your bronchitis healed. In other words, your bronchitis was not as much as severe to start another course. You are saying that you still have a wet cough (we call it productive cough, with mucus). As you were treated for bronchitis 3 months ago, there is a possibility of its relapse (after 3 months). So, I'd suggest to get physically checked by a pulmonologist to rule out/diagnose if bronchitis is turned back in order to start the right treatment. I'd advise to: - take carbocystein syrup to relieve the wet cough - take oral pain-killers (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, piroxicam or naproxen for the pain). The pain you are having could be because of heavy coughing. - check blood pressure and run the cardiac tests to rule out heart problems too - you can apply calming balms at your chest to ease your breathing - take 1 teaspoon of olive oil daily together with 1 teaspoon of honey/daily - if your breathing is difficult and you have runny nose too, you can do inhaling therapy or aerosol to ease your breathing All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!