Ask a Urologist   »  

Why am I experiencing a tingling and slight burning sensation at tip of penis?

Been experiencing a tingling, slight burning sensation at tip of penis, which comes and goes. Urinalysis was okay. No blood in urine. No visual puss or redness at tip. No pain during urination. PSA is fine. Rectal exam okay. Thanks for your input.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later

Thanks for your query and welcome to XXXXXXX
It is a good news that urine test and PSA are normal.
Things needed are---
1. Pls check your sugar levels and get it under control if high and if you are a diabetic.
2. Kindly check for tightness of the foreskin and see if it moves over the head of the penis freely. If so, there is nothing to worry.

If tight and the sensation persists, kindly take medical help, otherwise you may wait to see if things settle on its own for a week or so.
Hope this helps.
Kindly get back for doubts if any---

Follow-up: Why am I experiencing a tingling and slight burning sensation at tip of penis? 3 hours later
If there seems to be no infection or inflammation present, what may be the cause of this sort of unpleasant sensation? Sugar levels are fine (just had blood work for physical done) and foreskin seems to move freely as you mentioned to check. At times, I do not feel any problem, but occasionally following urination, I feel the sensation, but then it disappears. I have checked on the web for others possibly dealing with this, and some have had it for months. Prescribed antibiotics do not seem to have an effect for practically all of them (which I would surmise as logical since no infection is present).
I know the body can heal itself on many occasions, given time. Don't know if some mild form of prostatitis may be in play, although PSA and rectal exam proved normal.
Thanks for any additional disagnoses for this somewhat annoying, possibly idiopathic sensation.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 23 minutes later

Welcome back.
Just now i saw a patient with similar complaint in my clinic and there is nothing in the skin or the penis head, believe it or not!
As long as skin is free and sugars are ok, there nothing to worry.

I know we are not able to diagnose and that is possible under certain circumstances.

Prostatitis presenting in this way without other symptoms is extremely unlikely.

Kindly try applying LIQUID PARAFFIN (meant for skin use) twice a day over the area, which should take care if dry skin is the cause.

Wishing you best health,