Why am I experiencing a buzzing in heart coming possibly from mitral valve location ?

hi there,
I am experiencing a buzzing in my heart, appears to be comming from the mitral valve location. I am asymptomatic except for occasional heavy beats in my throat @ the same time. Any Ideas???
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

You have had quite a challenging medical history from reviewing the information you have submitted. Let me give you some information and suggestions as to where to go next with how you are feeling.

As for the buzzing sensation you are experiencing this may be due to a disturbance in flow through the mitral valve. As you know - regurgitation occurs when the valve does not close completely to keep blood in the ventricle. Thic can be a progressive process and can be adequately measured with an ultrasound procedure - echocardiogram.

also, having had endocarditis in the past could place you at some degree of risk for developing a rhythm disturbance - fibrillation or frequent PVCs or even a rapid heart rate or tachycardia. Let me reassure you that I do not think you are in a life threatening situation right now. I would like to suggest a few things, however.

I suggest you visit with your cardiologist. The primary physician can check not only thyroid function tests but also electrolytes because we know well that disturbance of balance of potassium and magnesium or sodium can create situations where rhythm disturbances can occur. Dessicated thyroid hormone is not used very much anymore because it it difficult to assess via conventional thyroid tests. An endocrinologist is hopefully managing this for you. Also, I think you might benefit from a holter monitor study - where you wear a monitory for 24 to 48 hours and then the physician can analyze any changes in rate or rhythm which may have occurred as many of these you may not even be able to appreciate. Finally, I think an echocardiogram would provide certain benefit in analyzing that mitral valve to see if there is any progression of the MVR.

I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and adequate. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask as I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga