Why am I coughing up light pink mucus while suffering from cough?

I was sick about 3 weeks ago with a fever.. body aches.. sore throat.. bad cough. The fever has been gone for about a week and I am just left with a cough. At night my chest rattles and sometimes whistles when I breath.. I cough anytime I breath heavy, laugh, etc.. The last couple days I feel like I need to clear my throat like there is mucus stuck there. When I do, I gag or puke. Today I have been coughing up light pink mucus. No fever. Should I be worried? Or is this a normal step in a cold?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: cough can last up to 8 weeks Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The cough associated with the common cold or flu can last 6 to 8 weeks in some persons even after the resolution of all of the other symptoms. It is referred to as post viral cough. Though the exact cause is not known, it is thought to be related to persisting inflammation of the respiratory tract. In some persons it may also be related to persisting post nasal secretions/mucus that stimulate a cough. In general, the symptoms resolve but to ease its effect you may want to consider the use of a mucolytic agents (such as one of these- bisolvan/mucomyst/robotussin) and a cough suppressant. The mucolytic would decrease the thickness of the mucus so that you can get rid of it easier. These should be available over the counter. i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Why am I coughing up light pink mucus while suffering from cough? 3 minutes later
Ok so the pink mucus is ok?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: blood can be seen in respiratory tract infections Detailed Answer: HI The pink mucus reflects a tinge of blood in the mucus. This occurs because the respiratory tract is inflamed as a result of the infection. In addition the persisting inflammation and its subsequent coughing would further irritate the air passages, causing the blood to continue. If you can get the cough suppressant and decrease the coughing the blood would stop soon afterwards Please feel free to ask anything else