Why am I bleeding from the prostate?

Dec 2012

Hi, I have bleeding from the prostate and am wondering what the possible causes may be. thank you
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

From your description and medical history (age, BPH and elevated PSA), it possible that you could be bleeding as a result of BPH, prostate cancer or prostatitis (not very likely as you are presenting with no signs of infection).

You will need to visit a urologist who will get you examined, get laboratory tests done and imagery done to determine the type of prostate lesion you are having. It is important that prostate cancer be ruled out as soon as possible from this point, as it is the most likely cause of your bleeding.

Hope this helps
Nsah, MD
Follow-up: Why am I bleeding from the prostate? 48 hours later
thank you for your reply - it serves to confirm my suspicions. Could you please tell me, other than or in addition to biopsy, what other diagnostic tests are available to confirm a diagnosis of prostate cancer, and if confirmed, what treatment options are currently available within the US? Thank you, again, for the kindness of your considerations and reply.

With gratitude, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 11 hours later
We sure have not yet concluded that you are having prostate cancer and a confirmatory diagnosis with laboratory and imagery studies is needed. To start with you will need to pay a visit to a urologist. Then a digital prostate exams ( to evaluate the structure of the prostate), PSA analysis, transrectal ultrasound and biopsy (which is the most relevant and test-specific). It is recommended to confirm any prostate diseases to do a biopsy first. Other imagery studies like MRI and CT scan might be done. The urologist after confirming your diseases, will probably have to proceed in doing a prostate metastatic evaluation to determine the extend to which the tumor might have progressed if it is prostate cancer. Treatment options available in the US will depend on your urologist and on the stage of the prostate cancer. Depending on stage, you can have medical/hormonal therapy, radiotherapy and surgical therapy. So, except, you are actually interested me to elaborate on all the possible treatment options for the various stages, I will advise you pay a visit to your urologist for confirmation.

Hope this helps
Follow-up: Why am I bleeding from the prostate? 10 hours later

Thank for your reply to my follow-up questions. This concludes my questions and ends this query.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 8 minutes later

I was happy to help and wish you the best.

Dr Nsah