Why am I bleeding from rectum?

Im bleeding from my rectum when go the bathroom for the past two days.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 15 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
Bleeding from rectum is abnormal & should raise concerns. Other associated complains like constipation, something coming out of the anus & abdominal pain may give a clue to the possible cause.
Most of the time this bleeding is due to a benign cause like Hemorrhoids. But, we must rule out other more serious possibilities.
The usual way is to visit a General Surgeon & get yourself examined. The doctor will examine your anal area & most of the time a clinical diagnosis can be made. Sometimes tests like endooscopy may be required to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment depends upon the cause. Sometimes merely the treatment of constipation is enough to resolve the problem. On the other hand any other medical or rarely surgical treatment may be required.
I have given you a simple guideline, If you have any question, please feel free to contact back.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Why am I bleeding from rectum? 8 hours later
Thanks so much for your answer. I had a scope and colonoscopy in november trying to fogure out cause of my severe aneimia. That was before this bleeding started and dr found nothing. You think i should go back?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 18 hours later
Welcome back.
Yes, you need a re-evaluation after telling the doctor about your present problem. This is nice to know that your last test results were negative.
You may be having occult ( microscopic blood loss ) at that time, which may lead to anemia. This time your doctor may take biopsy for further evaluation.
Wish you good health.