Why PCOD is caused in women and the best and safest way to ovecome PCOD?

Question
Hi, I would Like To Know why is PCOD caused in women And the best and safest way to ovecome PCOD.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

1. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is related with multiple factor predominantly to genetic (inherited) and environmental factors. Other factors found in relation to PCOS which is thought to be causes include
- Malfunction of the body's blood sugar control system (insulin system)
- Production of excess amounts of male hormones known as androgens from ovaries
- Other hormonal abnormality in women with PCOS such as Luteinizing Hormone

A detailed clinical history including family history and set of investigations would be needed to identify these factors.

2. PCOD is a chronic medical condition which can be kept under control if you wish too. A strict lifestyle change and treatment combined with regular follow ups with a competent gynaecologist.

Treatment is individualized as per the presenting symptoms. Both medical drugs or laparoscopy or both can be the treatment in a typical PCOD patient. In general women who do not want to get pregnant are treated with birth control pills – this most often corrects hormone imbalances, regulate your menstrual cycle and, cut down on abnormal hair growth and acne. Those who wish to get pregnant are treated with ovulation induction drugs such as clomifene, tamoxifen and gonadotropins. Weight management is most important in both the cases.

Insulin-sensitizing drugs (ISDs), such as metformin, are now being used by specialists as treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome. Many PCOS women who didn't initially respond to a fertility drug responded to it after treatment with an insulin-promoting drug

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and please write a review.

Wish you good health.
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Why PCOD is caused in women and the best and safest way to ovecome PCOD? 1 hour later
would losing weight reduce PCOD?? I have been diagonised with PCOD?? Could suggest me any Diet That would help me in loosing weight??

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 2 hours later
Yes weight reduction has great role in the management of PCOD.
In different international study it is seen that a weight reduction of only 5% of total body weight is associated with decreased insulin levels, increased fertility, reduced hirsutism and acne, and lower free testosterone levels.
PCOD is both metabolic and hormonal disorder. The results are better with lifestyle changes and weight loss.

Weight reduction in PCOD/PCOS is done by lifestyle changes, dietary modifications and some drugs.
1.Eat a high-fiber, low-sugar diet. Load up on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and avoid processed and fatty foods to keep your blood sugar levels in check.
2.Eat four to six small meals throughout the day, rather than three large meals. This will help control your blood sugar levels
3.Take diet according to calorie needed for you.
4.Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day without any miss.
5.Consult with your physician to control your cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
6.Drug therapy-Metformin and thiazolidinedione group of oral hypoglycemic drugs are very effective in reducing weight in PCOD.
7.Please don’t take any appetite suppressant drugs that may cause harm to you.
8. It is ideal if you can consult a dietitian personally for planned diet for 1600 Kcal per day. They can plan it well than me.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.
Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly