Why IBS flare up with numbness and tingling sensation in leg?

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell be with by IBS flaring up if numbness or tingle occur in right leg?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query, and although quite uncommon, we do receive patients with IBS complaining about tingling sensation and numbness. This is not unnatural. Let me explain why.

Vitamin B12 and Folic acid are vitamins which are absorbed from the intestines into the blood. When there is a flare up of IBS in an individual, this absorption is inhibited due to the inflammation and irritation of the whole gut/intestine.

This vitamin B12 and folic acid are responsible for providing strength to the blood vessel, in their absence, the blood vessels become weak and nerve damage occurs. This is presented as numbness or a tingling sensation.

We will of course have to confirm this with the help of laboratory investigation of your vitamin B12 and folic acid levels. Once a low level is confirmed, and depending on how low they are, your doctor can advice supplementation through tablet/capsules or injections.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.