Whooshing sound in ears after a ride, can hear pulse, head pains. Hydration?

Question
Upon standing after a long car ride of 30 min or more, only when the driver, I get whooshing sound in ears, I can hear my pulse, and the front of my head aches for maybe ten minutes. It gradually goes away. It does not happen with every car ride, might be affected by hydration, feels like my eyes are also pulsing. I don't have any neuro deficit, everything else is ok when I exercise, sitting at computer, getting up from sleep all ok. Only in the car. Yesterday the top of my head pulsed with pain that went away by sitting down.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You are experiencing headache, pulsating sensation in eyes when riding in a car. What you are suffering from is most probably motion sickness. Motion sickness can happen from any kind of movement, like when travelling in a car, train, plane or even movement that you’re anticipating. The most common symptoms will be vomiting, dizziness, headache etc.

During motion sickness the inner ear and the eyes send conflicting signals to the brain. This most often happens when you are in a car, boat, or airplane, but it may also happen in amusement park rides.
Sometimes just thinking about movement can cause anxiety and symptoms of motion sickness. For example, if a person who had motion sickness before might become nauseous on an airplane before take-off.

You can follow the following remedies:
1. Sit in the front seat in a car.
2. Keep your eyes on the horizon. Don't read.
3. Rest your head against the seat back, to keep it still.
4. Turn the air vents toward your face.
5. Don't smoke.

You can also try medications like Tablet Marezine (It is a prescription drug, you need a doctor’s prescription for the same), it is most effective when taken at least 30 minutes before travel. Please discuss about this with your physician.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Whooshing sound in ears after a ride, can hear pulse, head pains. Hydration? 8 hours later
Since this only happens when I stand getting out of the car, it seems atypical for motion sickness to me. I do get sick on the ocean as you describe. This only happens once a month thereabouts and has only started happening over the last two years. I don't smoke. What precipitates my question is the last episode was extremely painful on the top of my head, very sudden and went away with sitting. No nausea. Just loud whooshing in my ears. Do you still feel it is motion sickness?
Thank you.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Radhika 20 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

I am sorry I did not get the question the first time. You feel these symptoms when you stand up suddenly after a car ride. The most probable reasons could be Syncope .This is caused by a temporary decrease in blood flow to the brain.

Syncope may be associated with a sudden fall in blood pressure, a decrease or increase in heart rate or changes in blood volume or distribution. There are many causes of syncope. Certain metabolic abnormalities and anemia may also cause syncope.
It could also be the result of an underlying medical condition that could be related to your heart, nervous system or blood flow to the brain.

You will need to get examined by a Physician and do a Physical examination with blood tests .Meanwhile you can follow certain lifestyle changes like:

1. Wearing support garments or compression stockings to improve circulation.
2. Making certain dietary changes such as eating small, more frequent meals; increasing salt, fluid and potassium; and avoiding caffeine and alcohol.
3. Taking certain precautions when changing positions from sitting to standing, elevating the head of your bed while sleeping.
4. Avoiding or changing the situations or triggers that cause a syncope episode.