Whom to approach for hernia operations?

I have a hernia which is there in my right groin area. But I am not sure which hernia it is i.e Inguinal or femoral. Also not sure how long it been there. My question is which surgeon operates on these hernia and also I am getting pain in the right thigh ( pinching pain ), mostly when my bowels are not clear. I feel it is some way related to the hernia as I do have a very uncomfortable feeling in my groin area whenever my bowels are not clear.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: general surgeon operates both Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Differentiation between inguinal and femoral hernia can be made by a good clinical examination by a skilled general surgeon. Hence, you need to consult a General surgeon for the same. Hernias can be painful and symptomatic many a times. It is better to get it evaluated at the earliest. I wish you recover quickly. Let me know if you have more queries. Regards,
Follow-up: Whom to approach for hernia operations? 2 minutes later
What test can be done to evaluate the same?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: x-ray, ultrasound and CT, if required Detailed Answer: Hello, Usually there is no need for imaging studies for a hernia study. In difficult cases, a plain x-ray of abdomen, and ultrasound abdomen may be done for further evaluation. Only rare cases, need a CT scan. Hence, if your surgeon is confident about the clinical diagnosis, no specific tests would be required. Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Whom to approach for hernia operations? 13 minutes later
The doubt in my mind is if I go for a Hernia Repair and my problems are not due to hernia and relating to vericocele surgery which I had done 10 yrs back, then what to do? Thats why this time I dont want to hurry up before being sure that the problems are due to hernia only
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need confirmation of diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Your symptoms could be due to hernia or due to the varicocoele surgery. It requires careful clinical judgement. I agree with you on this. Yes, please proceed with the surgery only if the benefits outweigh the risks and look at the outcome of the surgery as well. Please consult a qualified, skilled and experienced general surgeon for the same. Get well soon.