White substance with sour smell growing on hair in testicular region. Yeast infection medicine did not help. Any suggestions?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a white substance growing on the hairs in my testicular region, and it has a sour smell to it. It comes off the hairs if i pull it off. I shave them and it just grows right back. I have tried a few yeast infection meds and they did not help at all. Any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later
Hi!

Thank you for posting the query.

I understood your problem; however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:

1) Does it look like a cyst or a swelling?
2) How is the surface of the lesion - rough or smooth?
3) If you squeeze the lesion does a white material come out of it?
4) Does it hurt when you touch it?

If you can reply to this possibly I can answer you better.

But with history what you have submitted, there seems to be two possibilities:

Either it can be a FOLLICULITIS or a SEBACEOUS CYST.

Both these conditions appear as a white round lesion. A sebaceous cyst if punctured would ooze out a thick cheesy white material which foul smells but would not hurt while a folliculitis would hurt and would ooze out a white liquid material.

You can even consider sending me a picture of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to help you further on this.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: White substance with sour smell growing on hair in testicular region. Yeast infection medicine did not help. Any suggestions? 19 hours later
No cysts or lesions. Everything look sjust like it should, but the hair folicles have a white substance growing on them!

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 16 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply,

If its the white thing at the base of the hair follicle ,then its only the sebum (appears as white material ) which is coming out .Its absolutely normal to have this .Every hair follicle has a sebaceous gland(oil gland) at the base which secretes oil or sebum.And that is what is seen at the base .

There is no need to treat it and it wont go off with any anti fungal cream either.You just need to keep the area very clean with soap and water since there can be foul smell along with.

You can still consider sending the picture if needed. (Attach the picture to the query).

Hope I have answered your query, Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.