White spots on uvula and bump on throat. Have sore throat, swollen glands in neck and headaches. Pharyngitis?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have two white spots on the back of my throat. One on each side of the uvula. Yellow bumps in the back of the throat. No fever, very minor sore throat, no nasal congestion, swollen glands in my neck/throat, and frequent headaches. Outside of the headaches I generally feel fine. I had tonsils removed when I was young and the white spots cannot be scraped off. Over a week ago Urgent Care Dr. stated it was Pharyngitis and prescribed a z-pack. The white spots have not decreased in size and the sore throat has become slightly worse over the week. Should I be concerned this is something other than pharyngitis?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

At this stage you do not need to be worried. Most sore throats ars caused by viruses and therefore are unlikely to get better with antibiotics. The soreness will reduce over the next few days. To help ease the pain in your throat, you could take paracetamol. The swollen glands are a sign of the infection and also nothing to worry about. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration as this will make you headache worse and rest if you can and I am confident you will feel better soon.

I hope this has reassured you but if you do have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger MBChB