Ask a Dentist   »  

White spots inside lips and tongue, red blister on roof of mouth, bleeding, canker sores, monogamous relationship

Hi I have new sudden onset issue that I've never experienced before. They are small white spots inside my lips, tinier white spots on the soft tissues under my tongue, and larger, clear to red blisters on the roof of my mouth. They all started at the same time 4 days ago. I do not have any fever or symptoms to indicate a concurrent virus or other illness. Roof of mouth and lips seeming to improve slightly, under tongue seems worse. After brushing my teeth, those on the lips and roof of mouth bleed a little and go away, leaving a raw look to the tissue, but they return in a few hours. No pain first several days but now some of the spots seem to be turning into canker sores. I'm in a monogamous relationship and I don't suspect any STDs. I'm 40, female, 130 #, 5'5". The site insists I pick a category and I'm not sure what is the best category...I chose dental.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 21 minutes later

The white spots on the tongue is suggestive of an infection of the tongue with secondarily inflamed lymph nodes behind the ear.

From the description that you have given the most likely causes can be-
1. Oral thrush- fungal infection of mouth. Usually covers the palate and tongue and is recurrent.

2. Viral infection- usually caused by coxsackie virus. The area is painful and recurrence is common.

3.Gingivostomatitis - Usually associated with swollen neck glands.

A careful examination is an integral part of diagnosis.

Till the time you XXXXXXX your dentist avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean. Avoiding hot and spicy foods will also help.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, as it improves the blood circulation and reduces the inflammation.

If it is only an ulcer, then you might require steroids to reduce the inflammation and Vitamin B-complex to help in faster healing of the ulcer. And, if it turns out to be a candid infection then you will require antifungal medicines.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplement.

Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.