White spots in genital area. Is this fungal infection or something serious?

Hi, I have noticed some white spots in my genital area where it is bee there for a while now. I am not sure what is it but it looks like white dry skin. I understand I need to visit a doctor so it gets properly checked. However, I have taken a picture of it and I would like to know what infection this can be. Can you please advise if this is just fungual infection or it looks like something serious such as Herpes or something else.. I have tried to attach the image but there is something wrong with your system. Can you please advise how can I send you. Looking forward to hear from you as soon as possible.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea infection groin: antifungals needed. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Having seen the attached pictures, I can assure you that you need not be that worried as this is not herpes or anything that serious. You have developed a fungal infection of the groin which is a tinea infection. Treatment of the same is in the form of both topical and oral antifungals. You should avoid the use of any other oils or creams over the affected areas. Keep the area clean and dry. Wear cotton undergarments so as to reduce sweating. Apply a topical antifungal cream atleast twice a day. You can take some oral antihistamines for associated itching. Hope it helps If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: White spots in genital area. Is this fungal infection or something serious? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your reply. If I go to the pharmacy and ask for the antifungals. Shall I just tell them I need any antifungal cream or is there a specific one you recommend. Also, I am bit confused, do I need to use both oral and topical creams or just one. Also. how long the topical you recommend I should use for (1 week, 2 weeks, etc).
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea groin ; topical antifungals for two weeks Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , You can start with only topical antifungals at the moment. Clotrimazole is the most commonly used and the available one. You need to apply it to the affected areas twice daily for two weeks atleast. Do not stop application of the medicine even intent feel that the lesions have healed. Inadequate treatment is the most important cause of recurrence in this case. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul.