White scar on the side of tongue. Cause of concern?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have a white XXXXXXX on the side of my tongue. I can't tell whether it's a scar from biting my tongue at night, or something else. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 15 minutes later
Dear Sir,

A white XXXXXXX over the tongue can be due to various reasons. As you rightly mentioned, it can be due to constant biting of the tongue or due to a sharp tooth. It can also be caused by a final infection known as candidiasis and this can be easily treated with anti fungal tablets.
White patches known as leukoplakia can be seen in individuals who smoke or chew tobacco and they can eventually turn into cancer.
Any white lesion in the oral cavity needs proper evaluation by a surgeon in the form of clinical examination and probably a biopsy to rule out a serious problem. My advise to you would be to consult a surgeon immediately for this problem.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.