White scar appeared near cold sore. What could it be?

Hello, I had a cold sore last summer. 4 weeks after I had a white scar. I don't know if it's from the cold sore or not but it hasn't gone away since.

It's a little white slit near where one of my cold sores was. I went to the doctor in October and they said it's just a scar and should heal soon.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

I would like to know some more details on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

Is there any itching associated with the white lesion you have?
Is the lesion scaly?
Where exactly is the lesion?
How big is the lesion?

If possible do attach an image of the lesion you have here on the right side of this page or mail the image to

with subject line as "Attention Dr Raju"

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: White scar appeared near cold sore. What could it be? 1 hour later
I emailed you my pictures.

What do you mean by the words scaly? The white slit is a different color than the rest of my lips.

The lesion is on lower left part of my lip.

The lesion isn't bigger than 1.5 cm.

Waiting for your response.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I have gone through the images. I suspect the lesion to be a scar left behind due to a minor trauma caused by chapped lips, minor injury or a non specific inflammation.

There is no need to worry; the lesion will disappear on its own in few weeks. There would be no need for any intervention unless there is any increase in size.

If there is a fast growth noticed then you may have to consult a dermatologist who can perform a biopsy test on the lesion and identify the cause and plan a management.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: White scar appeared near cold sore. What could it be? 16 minutes later
The lesion has been there for 9 months now. You think it's just going to disappear in a couple weeks?

It has stayed the same size the whole time.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later

I apologize because I missed the fact that the lesion developed in the last summer as you mentioned.

I believe a biopsy test of the lesion would be a better modality to confirm the diagnosis here.

I still consider it to be a scar tissue based on its appearance but its persistence for such a long time concerns me. Hence, according to me a biopsy would be helpful here.

Wish you good health.