White powdery stool, diarrhea, weight loss, Giardiasis

Hi there I have found these yellow lumps in my stool discharge which come out in a white powdery substance when squeeze them.

I have done some research into this and from what i see they are casein ( fecal pods). What can I do to get rid of these and are they XXXXXXX in anyway.

I am also getting dizzy, nausea, diarrhea, lose of weight
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Presence of fecal pods is a common and harmless finding most of the times. Is this associated with any abdominal cramps, diarrhea etc.? There is a condition called giardiasis which is a parasitic infection from drinking water and small cyst like objects are found in the stool.
Although some people may have a parasitic infection and have no signs and symptoms, some symptoms when they do occur are diarrhea, foul smelling stool, and abdomial cramps and weight loss. A microscopic study is done on the stool to identify it. It takes 3 stool samples to diagnose this condition.
Giardia is easily treated with a course of antibiotics. You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of your physician.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: White powdery stool, diarrhea, weight loss, Giardiasis 9 hours later
Hi again. What are these fecal pods though anx how did i get them. My own gp has never seen anything like them before and threw my sample away. What should i do next.

In your response to my last question are you unsure if it causes diarrhea.

How do i get infection from drinking water.

I am worrying now and dont know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It might be a harmless finding or might be indicative of intestinal Giardia infestation due to consumption of contaminated food or water. Inadequate sanitation is also a cause for it.

Symptoms of Giardia infestation are diarrhea, cramping abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, etc.

You need to get your stool sample examined at a laboratory for ova, cysts and parasites. This will help you to confirm the diagnosis.

Do not worry as there is effective treatment available for this condition.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.