White patches on waist. Prescribed with Melagin lotion, Vomate cream. Will it get cured with the prescribed medication?

i am just back visiting a dermetologist. There are white patches on my waist. my doctor says it will be cured and it wil not spread to other body parts.i am an indian and i wear Saree . My doctor says that these patches have appeared due to tight binding of saree. he has advised melagin lotion and vomate cream. is it ok? i am afraid. I want to know that it will be cured or not and i also want to know whether it will spread to other parts like face etc.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

I can understand your concern and will try to give you the best advice.

The white patches that you are describing are most commonly caused by vitiligo. It is common in Indian women who have the habit of tying the XXXXXXX tightly at the waist. Chronic friction over the period of years results in development of white patches or vitiligo.

You have been advised rightly by your dermatologist.
Apply melgain lotion at night over affected area and keep it till morning as it is and expose the affected area to sunlight for 15 minutes. The other cream must be momate cream and not vomate cream as written by you. Apply momate cream in day time.

Also, you can use tacrolimus ointment over the affected area. Discuss this option with your doctor.

Last but the most important thing would be to avoid tying XXXXXXX over the white affected area. You can tie the XXXXXXX above or below affected area. Use gowns at night time. If possible, avoid XXXXXXX altogether and wear salwar kameez (Punjabi suits) or other clothes which won't have to tied at waist. As long as friction would be there, the spots will not be normalized.

With treatment going on the spots will not spread and not occur over face or other areas.

Please continue the treatment and do not skip the applications.

You need not be worried as the condition is treatable.

If you have any further queries, feel free to ask them.

Dr Sudarshan