White patches on face, leg, white hair. Causes, medication, treatment ?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I have recently shifted mumbai from delhi. After shifting mumbai just 2 months ago I got two white patch on face and one white on leg with white hair. So I'm confused that how to stop it and how to remove white patches which are there on body. Could you please suggest something. Why it happened ? What are the things I need to avoid and medication I should take. Please suggest
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Surindher 10 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I understand your health concern.

From the details you have provided, it most probably seems to me that you are developing VITILIGO. This is a condition where in the melanocytes or the pigment producing cells are not producing the pigment, hence the white hair too.

Of course, some tests have to be performed on it to confirm the diagnosis. As of now since the problem has just started, what you will require is some medical treatment along with some PUVA therapy if indicated.

We as surgeons only treat "stable vitiligo" by which we mean any patches which have been stable for many months and you are not getting new patches, where in we might do a skin grafting.

Right now since you have patches of recent onset, you need to consult a dermatologist who can start off on you medical treatment and that itself might prevent any further progress and maybe cure the patches too. Once medical treatment has been done and there is no more improvement, then we as surgeons will step in and do the needful.

There are many reasons for this to happen and your dermatologist will definitely explain it better to you.

Thank you again and hoping for your speedy recovery. Please feel free to ask me any further queries you might have.