White patches on baby's cheeks, spreading. Applied Cetaphil. Is it vitamin deficiency?

We are having baby boy of 8 months old, he is having white patches on his cheeks. First it was appeared on one place, last Sunday it appeared on another place also.

We are thinking its some vitamin deficiency, daily we are applying Jonson and Jonson baby lotion and also we applied Cetaphil cream on the white patches.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 46 minutes later
White patches on the face of a child are a very common thing and is called ' Pityriasis Alba".
It is a misconception that it occurs due to calcium deficiency though most of the practitioners prescribe a multivitamin along with the medication.
It can occur at various sites and is more common in children who are prone to repeated cough and cold.
A mild topical steroid cream and tacrolimus cream is usually prescribed. However, these are prescription drugs and can be obtained after you consult a dermatologist.
It takes around 2-3 weeks to subside and is nothing to worry about.

Vitiligo, on the other hand can occur at any site of the body and is porcelain white in colour with no scaling which is a feature of P. XXXXXXX

Cethaphil moisturizing lotion and XXXXXXX lotion are both moisturisers and there is no point applying both at the same time.

Also, please avoid excessive sun exposure to the child as in that case the normal skin turns darker and patches become more prominent.

I hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with the reply.

Dr.Rohit Batra