White patch on forehead, tinea versicolor. Prescribed selenium sulfide, no relief. How is skin discoloration treated?

hi there, I have a largish white "patch" on my forehead, right between my eyes (that portion on my head), that seems to have irregular borders, etc. But it is substantially lighter than the rest of my skin, appearing almost white in contrast..this portion of skin WAS damaged by trying a home remedy for frown lines, which involved placing tape over the area, after using my usual benzoyl peroxide, then a wrinkle reducing (AHA) cream..I slept with this on overnight, and now I have had this for about two months or more..of note, this area of skin was VERY pinkish looking after I took off the tape, and now this, it looks soooo white!!.. I saw a doc at a walk in clinic (I have no health insurance right now) and he said it's tinea versicolor, and prescribed selenium sulfide, 2.5% that I am using faithfully at least once per day on my whole face, it's not working.please help!
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 11 hours later

Thanks for your query

I would be in a better position to give you a diagnosis if you could please send in a couple of photgraphs of the involved area.

Going by your history, it seems that you are suffering from a ' Post Inflammatory Hypopigmentation' which occurs after an inflammation as you pointed out in your case i.e. the skin became pinkish on application of the home remedy and subsequently changed to white color.

Waiting for the pictures.

Dr. Rohit Batra