White patch on face, probably due to tinea versicolor. Suitable treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a white patch on my face. I think this was tinea versicolor and the doctor had prescribed some ointment which I can't remember. What is a suitable treatment?

The doctor has previously prescribed a solution for my body, but a different one for my face. The solution came in a blue bottle, I can't remember the name
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Tinea versicolor is a fungal infection which usually causes white patches on skin of trunk , it's not very common on face.
I assume that you had got yourself diagnosed by a dermatologist or skin specialist because only after a confirmed diagnosis , you should start an antifungal treatment.
The suitable treatment options can be both local ointments or lotions and oral antifungal drugs . If you have reccurent fungal infection it's best to get reevaluated by your doctor , confirm the diagnosis , rule out any underlying illness like diabetes and then get a prescription of oral antifungal medicines.

There are many antifungal agents available to apply to the skin for the treatment of tinea versicolor. Over-the-counter (OTC) remedies include clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Mycelex) and miconazole (Lotrimin). These should be applied twice a day for 10-14 days but come in small tubes and are hard to apply to large areas. Another OTC option is selenium sulfide shampoo 1% (Selsun Blue) or 1% ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral). Some doctors recommend applying these for 15 minutes twice a week for two to four weeks.
There are also many prescription-strength antifungal creams that can treat tinea versicolor, as well as a stronger form of selenium sulfide (2.5%) and prescription-strength ketoconazole shampoo (2%).
Oral treatment for tinea versicolor has the advantage of simplicity. A single dose of ketoconazole or five daily doses of itraconazole (Sporanox) are two therapies your doctor can prescribe. Some common medicines for cholesterol etc may interact with these drugs, hence one should avoid self medication and always tell your doctor about any other herbal or medicinal supplements you take before starting such treatment .

So though you can take local clotrimazole or miconazole ointment for face and ketoconazole lotion for the body which seems most closely resembling your previous treatment , I would advise you get your lesion checked for confirming the diagnosis and for the best results get a prescription of oral antifungal agents from your doctor as well.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.