White layer on tonsil, problem with vocal cords, low body temperature. Do not want to take antibiotics. Is there an alternative?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm 26 year old male, 180 cm tall, weighing 75 kg. I'm experiencing the symptoms of tonsilitis, with low body temperature which approximates 36 degrees Celsius. Only one tonsil seems to be infected, there is a white layer on it. Also I have problems with my vocal cords. I really wouldn't like to take antibiotics. Is there an alternative?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 27 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Acute onset of an upper respiratory tract infection is usually viral in origin and self limiting.

A whitish layer formed over the tonsil could be due to accumulation of the slough and micro-abscess. In the initial stages of the infection there will be dehydration of the oral cavity leading to the formation of a layer over the tonsil. This usually clears off with regular throat gargles.

In most of the situations, during acute infection of the throat (i.e. pharyngitis) there is subsequent infection of the larynx also giving rise to hoarseness.

Simple home remedies can alleviate your problems. Drink plenty of warm water, avoid excessive hot or chilled beverages, coffee and oily food. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution 3-4 times every day after food and also do steam inhalation to reduce the congestion on the vocal cords.

If the above measures fail to control the infection, then you will require antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: White layer on tonsil, problem with vocal cords, low body temperature. Do not want to take antibiotics. Is there an alternative? 39 hours later
Thank you for the reply. I went to a doctor and he prescribed me Doxycyclinum 100mg. Is it a good antibiotic for my condition?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Doxycycline 100mg is a good antibiotic, but most of the time the organism will be resistant to Doxycycline. Unless the antibiotic is sensitive to the microbes present in the throat, it is not recommended. It is better to use an antibiotic containing a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid or second generation Cephalosporins (such as Cefuroxime) which covers most of the oral cavity pathogens.

Discuss with your doctor about this option.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.
If all your queries are answered, please accept the answer and close the discussion.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon