White discoloration on penis, red rash, burning urination and ejaculation. What is it?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, a couple days ago i notice a white discoloration on the top of the head of my penis, and a little red rash next to it,not to big, i ignored it, and took some ampicilina that i had left. i took it for 5 days 500mg every 8hrs. it did not go away, now i notice that when the penis is squeezed you can see the white plaque clearly and i also developed a mild burning pain on the tip of my penis when i urinate or when i ejaculate. My girlfriend had a bad yest infection and at the end of her treatment we had sex. i was also taking a ephedra caffeine product at that time and stoped as soon as i read it can make it worse, about 2 days ago. what is it? also previews to this i had gone to the doctor before because i had itchy hives all over my body, the doctor stated that this was do to my hormones being fluctuated since i had done a 2 month steroid cycle. just tought i should mention this.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later

I have read through your details and reviewed the photos sent.

Going by your history and the fact that your girl friend was suffering from a yeast infection, what you are currently having looks like a candidial infection - candidial balanitis.
In this condition, the skin over the glans becomes itchy, erythematous and at times discharging. It might be associated with burning micturition too.

I would suggest you to consult a competent dermatologist for focal examination. You would need to be treated with a course of oral antifungal like fluconazole and topical antifungal preparations for few days.
At times a secondary bacterial infection also is a part and hence an antibiotic cover can be added for a quick relief.

I would request you to visit a dermatologist at the earliest and start the treatment under his/her guidance.

Hope this is helpful and informative. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries. Yet if you have any further queries, feel free to post them on your follow up; I will be glad to assist you.

Dr. Rohit Batra

Follow-up: White discoloration on penis, red rash, burning urination and ejaculation. What is it? 12 hours later
Thank you for the reply. I have some medicine left from my girlfriends treatment I'm 5'10 210pds I have a miconazole cream and fluconazole 200 mg

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

Ideally you should be treated under the guidance of a dermatologist after a confirmation of the candidial infection in person. I encourage you to do so.

In case you are unable to visit the dermatologist, antifungal regime consisting of oral fluconazole everyday with topical miconazole application can be tried under guidance of your primary healthcare provider. You can take the treatment for a week to see how you respond to the same.

Hope this helps. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them
Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Dr.Rohit Batra