White discharge along with burning and itching from vagina. What can this mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have burning and itching near my vagina & some white product get outs from my is from last 25 days
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 16 minutes later
Hi there,

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you have any pain or itching inside the vagina?
Any burning sensation on passing urine, lower abdominal pain?
Are you on any medication?
Are you a diabetic?

It appears you are having Vaginal infection. There can be many causes for the same, like improper hygiene, frequent douching, sexually transmitted infections, low immunity, diabetes etc.
Sometimes the infection can spread to your urinary bladder and cause symptoms like burning sensation on passing urine, cloudy urine etc. In order to prevent this, drink 2-3 litres of water a day. Cranberry juice also prevents symptoms of urinary tract infection.

It is advised that you see your Gynecologist to examine you completely and find the cause of this infection. Possible causes are Candidiasis which is common in Diabetics and immunosuppressed persons, Vaginosis, Trichomoniasis etc.

In most cases, anti-fungal treatment is given for few weeks and you shall recover.

Avoid sexual intercourse or masturbation till you are diagnosed and treated completely.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: White discharge along with burning and itching from vagina. What can this mean? 5 hours later
ya i have pain & itching both inside - outside part of the vagina both burning sensation on passing urine & lower abdominal pain is there.usually during periods the vaginal area get scratched and it get recovered.but from last 2 months it doesn't get recovered.according to my blood report i have lack of hemoglobin.Sometimes some white liquid-like comes out.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

The features are suggestive of vaginal infection and urinary tract infection.

Low haemoglobin is seen in Anaemia. It can cause weakness, sleep disturbances, etc.

Kindly follow instructions as mentioned above.

Do consult your Gynaecologist for proper examination, investigations and treatment. Practice safe-sex to reduce chance of sexually transmitted infections as well.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: White discharge along with burning and itching from vagina. What can this mean? 6 hours later
please suggest some medicine and careness to prevent this. some diets or precautions
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

It is advisable to eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. These will prevent symptoms.

Practice proper hygiene. Keep vagina clean. Avoid frequent washing or douching of vagina as they can also cause infections.

Practice safe-sex as much as possible to reduce risk of sexually transmitted infections.

Usually proper examination by Gynecologist is needed and sample of discharge from vagina is examined in laboratory to find out which organism is causing it. If fungus detected, anti-fungal treatment like Candid V6 vaginal pessary.

Avoid sexual intercourse and masturbation to avoid spreading infection or damaging vagina further until you are diagnosed and treated.

Get your blood sugar tested as diabetic and other immuno-suppressed patients are at risk of frequent infections.

There is no substitute to a Gynecologist's clinical examination and also laboratory testing for proper diagnosis and correct treatment to help in cure and preventing complications.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.