Ask a Dentist   »  

White bump on tongue,canker sore

Hi, I have a white bump on the side of my tongue. It is the same shade as my tongue and is a little bigger than a zit would be. I thought it was a canker sore, but it doesn't look like it. I do bite my tongue sometimes when I sleep, so I thought maybe it was flesh from my tongue that grew back somehow.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 40 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This is most likely an inflammatory change which can occur in reaction to minor local trauma such as that which occurs during chewing or sometimes at night if you grind your teeth.

These can be quite painful and should slowly resolve within 7 days. If for some reason it does not improve then you should see your primary physician do an examination. The likelihood that it is something more than an inflammatory issue is very low. Let me reassure you of that.

Thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga