White bump on labia majora, after period. Treatment?

I have a small white bump on my labia majora. It looks like a pimple. It appeared directly after I ended my menstrual cycle. What can I do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A small white bump on vagina can be due to many reasons like-
1. Sebaceous cyst- occurs due to a blocked gland. Usually needs to be removed and if painful may indicate infection.
2. Folliculitis- Infected hair follicle. Usually streptococcus or staphylococcus are the causative organisms. Needs antibiotics for treatment.
3. Genital wart- caused by papilloma virus.
4. Impetigo - caused by streptococcus (strep) or staphylococcus (staph) bacteria.

To confirm the diagnosis we need to have a careful examination followed by a culture sensitivity of the discharge from the bump. If it is folliculitis, impetigo or boils, it will come out positive on bacterial cultures.

Till then you can follow general cleanliness measures and try any local antiseptic ointment and hot fomentation for relief.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.

Follow-up: White bump on labia majora, after period. Treatment? 48 minutes later
What type of antiseptic ointment do you recommend and just a regular hot towel press will do the job for relief?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Antiseptic ointment like neosporin, bacitracin , soframycin, etc will help you. A regular hot towel press needs to be done 3-4 times daily for early relief.

Sincerely hope it helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.