White blood count is normal and ESR is 42. What could be wrong?

My white blood count is normal but ESR is 42. What could be wrong with me.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
hello and thanks for sending the question.

There are many different reasons why this blood test might be elevated. Sometimes it can be elevated with a mild upper respiratory infection or viral infection.

Other potential things that can elevate this test include inflammatory or autoimmune conditions.

I assumed otherwise you feel relatively healthy. If you have additional symptoms I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Otherwise I would suggest that your doctor monitors this test and considers rechecking it again in the next several weeks or months.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: White blood count is normal and ESR is 42. What could be wrong? 5 minutes later
I have joint pain and skin changes and my MCV is 77.5 mch is 26.0. My monocyte percent is 11.6. I have a negative ana and slc-70 and my crp is 0.8. I am concerned about scleroderma but have been told by two doctors I don't have it but I am symptomatic of it.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
This could be some kind of inflammatory arthritis. I am not sure this is scleroderma.

I would discuss this further with a rheumatologist. If you feel you are not getting the right answers I would request a referral to a regional center or university.

I would check another CBC in the next 3 to 6 months as well - just to make sure things remain stable.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: White blood count is normal and ESR is 42. What could be wrong? 8 minutes later
I am seeing rheumatologist on 31st. Is the crp considered normal?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Normal CRP values vary from lab to lab. Generally, there is no CRP detectable in the blood.

A value of less than 1 is considered normal in most labs.

Dr Galamaga