White area in the nose cavity, neck and arm pain. What can be the cause?

ENT Specialist
I have a white area in my nose cavity that looks like a bone and black dots in it. My nose is so bloody raw inside the nose but the white area is hardon the hard area of the nose. I also have had pain down my neck on that side and after months and months pain has moved to under the arm pit and into my arm. It's very painful and seems to cut off my circulation to my arm and hand. I've ask doctors to look in my nose but they only see the red raw area. I then tell them about the white bone looking stuff that is much much deeper and they don't look. Is it anything I should try to find a ENT?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Is this on both sides or one?

2. Do you have any other nasal symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge or nasal obstruction?

3. A white hard area in a normal nasal cavity is most likely to be pale nasal mucosa, cartilage or turbinate bone.

4. You should get a nasal examination done by a local ENT Specialist. If a nasal endoscopy is advised, ask for the images or video recording and share it here for an accurate diagnosis.

5. The black spots may be hair follicles or mucosal pits seen in low power light. Endocopy light sources are high power, enabling a clearer view. The nasal cavity is a large area, with very little visible on regular examination, even with a headlight.

6. The red raw area (again, one or both sides?) may be normal nasal mucosa or vestibulitis (is it due to local trauma?)and should subside with local treatment.

7. Usually, culture swabs, imaging and biopsy will settle the issue if these lesions do not heal.

8. Get a neck x-ray to rule out a cervical rib. The exact cause of the armpit and arm pain is not clear at the moment. It may be RA. Get a Neurologist's opinion on this as you feel numbness and circulation problems.

9. You may with-hold any further investigation until an endoscopy is done.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.