White and thick vaginal discharge during pregnancy, rash on lip of vagina, swollen and uncomfortable. Yeast infection?

QuestionIm 18, female I weigh 190, im 5'6 and im 27 weeks pregnant I have been having an issue with a vaginal discharge its white and thick and I have had a rash on my lip area of the vagina and it feels swollen and is not sure if its a yiest infection or what? Also after having intercourse my urine burns really bad and I dont know what it could be
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 8 hours later

The symptoms you are describing suggests the possibility of Candida infection of the vagina. A long standing infection leads to burning in urine and vagina after intercourse.

If your underwear stains yellow, then there is possibility of bacterial infection also.

You need to do urine for culture and sensitivity to exclude UTI (Clotrimazole pessaries and local application of cream will help you. Consult your Gynecologist for confirmation of cause, so that she can prescribe above mentioned medicines.
If the treatment is taken properly, it will resolve in 1 weeks time. You may use oral antifungal medications after delivery if problem persists.

Also use soap for pH balance like lactobacilli wash and dont use normal soap in the local area.
Don't douche the vagina. Use condoms during intercourse.

Steam iron your underwear before use to prevent reinfection.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Follow-up: White and thick vaginal discharge during pregnancy, rash on lip of vagina, swollen and uncomfortable. Yeast infection? 3 days later
Im 18, female, my height is 5'5,my weight is 190 and im 28 weeks pregnant I underwent a blood test and they told me my thyroid levels were elevated. I want to know if this could be harmful to the baby or my pregnancy in any way?
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, definitely deranged thyroid profile has an effect on the pregnancy. I am sorry; you have not told me the details of the thyroid levels. Please mention the values of T3, T4 and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) to comment on whether it is hypothyroid or hyperthyroid state.

Hypothyroidism is associated with preterm labor and growth restriction in the baby.

You can also upload the reports if you have any. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Awaiting your response.